Google’s new app takes you on a ‘Field Trip’ with cool, hidden, and unique recommendations
Last week, Google’s Niantic Labs launched an interesting new app for Android smartphones on the Play Store. The app in question is simply called, “Field Trip”, and it brings “cool, hidden, and unique things in the world around you”.
Field Trip runs in the background of your device and notifies you with details about locations as you get close to interesting spots. You don’t even have to click on anything, and the app will even read the information to you if you’re wearing a headset or using a bluetooth device.
This isn’t your typical, run-of-the-mill recommendations app. To say that would be an understatement. Field Trip gives you not only recommendations on where to shop, eat, and have a good time, but it also displays local history and acts as a local music guide, too.
Niantic Labs has teamed up with a number of well-known services to make all of this possible. Industry Experts from many organizations have come together to offer an overload of information, all wrapped up in one convenient app. Some of the experts you’ll find in Field Trip include:
- Food Network
- Cool Hunting
- Atlas Obscura
- Daily Secret
We hope to see more inclusions in future updates, but for now, that’s a pretty solid list, don’t you think? Have a look at the details from the Play Store below, followed by screens, a video, and a download link for your pleasure.
- Discover thousands of interesting places/experiences that fall under the following categories: Architecture, Historic Places & Events, Lifestyle, Offers & Deals, Food Drinks & Fun, Movie Locations, Outdoor Art and Obscure Places of Interest around you.
- Choose from three different modes to set frequency of Field Trip notifications. See “Field Trip” worthy places around you on a map, by tapping on cards in map view to pull up enthralling points of interest around you.
- Go on a Field Trip while you drive. Field Trip can detect when you’re driving and automatically “talk” about interesting places and experience around you.
- Capture the memory of a special place, by sharing a wondrous discovery through email and social networks such as Google+, Twitter and Facebook.
- Wondering where the gem that you recently discovered is? Find your discovered field trip cards in the “recent’ section.
- Field trip learns what you love. Thumbs up or down to tune the information discovery engine.
Seen enough yet? If you’re ready to take an adventure of your own, hit up the Google Play Store and grab the 2.9MB app with the link below.